Welcome

Our old universe has
fallen into impossible chaos and destruction, but the Legendaries will save us; are saving us; have saved us. Soon many lives and memories will fill this new world, and give it purpose.

Events

Terrene continues to heat
up, both in temperature and in conflict. Beta is asking for spies to infiltrate Omega's camp, while Dentelle simply wants to inquire after the scientist's progress. Later in the season, Beta is hosting his annual crater city tournament, where people can test their Pokemon and their leadership and strategies against one another.

Season

Summer will be here until
September. The heat of summer is here in full force, as well as the accompanying summer thunderstorms. Bug, electric, and fire types all thrive while others wilt under these conditions.

Staff

Admins

Jani
Kaien

Moderators

Shasyu
Mod

C-Box

Keep it PG! | rules

Links

external cbox newbie guide pkmn rarity dmg table mod req the maps FAQ PP

Sisters

Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene

Add Reply
New Poll

Branding questions
Rixie
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 10:59 AM

Lore

1. Are children branded?
2. What about children of branded people?

3. Who does the branding?
Peace officers, deacons, sometimes bishops.

What if people got mad about being branded and took it out on the nobles children? =X?!
4. Would they ever do that (rise up and disobey in such a manner)?
5. If they managed to brand an upper class citizen, or one of their children, what would be the consequences?
6. Are the branded allowed to leave Crater freely?
I’ve heard they are given housing and food, so I can understand why they might not want to even if it’s allowed.

--------------------
PM
^
Sev
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 12:45 PM

Player

Oooh! I want to add a couple questions to this!

If an Immigrant gets sent through to Crater do we have to allow them to be branded?
I've read all immigrants who end up there get branded but what if, ICly, my character isn't the type to just let that happen? Could he/she fight back or simply run?

What about visitors to Crater? Are they just sort of given a free pass and are left alone?

If these are answered somewhere and I just managed to overlook the info I apologize, lol.

--------------------
PM
^
Jani
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 01:32 PM

Admin

Replying on phone, so bear with me if... Yeah.

Some of these are answered in the FAQ I think? But I'm not sure which ones so I'll just answer all of them here.

Chuldren that come through are branded, if they look to be above a certain age. I believe the age is somewhere 10-13? Basically if they look old enough to have a legitimate job, they are branded when they come through. If not, their fate depends on who takes them in, probably. If they join a branded family (which would be the most likely scenario I assume) then they will be branded when they come of age. If they are taken in by a family higher in the hierarchy, then it will depend on the family's wishes.

Children of Branded are branded when they come of age, old enough to have a job and work and start to become productive members of society.

Who does branding? As stated above, usually deacons, often peace officers, occasionally bishops.

As far as rebellion, I suppose it... Could happen? I think it would be unlikely, though. First of all, since they are paid mostly in housing, food, water, clothes, and other necessities, they don't have money to barter with to get things like weapons, or Pokemon. They could still make/catch such things themselves, of course, but the obtaining of them would be more difficult. Once they have a Pokemon, they are allowed and encouraged to train that Pokemon, however, so that could help level the playing field at least a little. But those within the hierarchy, especially the higher up you go, have more access to just about everything. And Beta makes it a part of the duties of the higher ranking people to train, both physically themselves and their Pokemon. But perhaps if the Bishop or whoever was caught alone and off guard...?

Consequences would include prison, banishment, or potentially death depending on the severity of the assault.

The branded are allowed to leave, yes. It's the prep for the travel that would be difficult as again, not typically paid in many tokens. And they are provided "free" housing, food, etc etc so yeah, I imagine most of them don't really want to leave, especially since Beta and his people are always talking about the horror stories of what happens outside the city.

In most cases you are allowed some influence over where your character ends up, so if you do not want your character to get branded, I recommend choosing a different city. Ashfield and Forest Beach are the safest.

If they are pulled through there and you don't want them branded, you have a couple options. You could lay low for a while, hide, fall off the radar so they don't know out we're just pulled through. Problem with this is, why would your character know to hide? You could also try to fight, but as stated above, you're an amnesiac with no weapons and a level 5 starter who probably doesn't like you much, against trained officers with multiple experienced pokemon. Running and hiding would be the best option, and buying supply packs quickly so that you can travel to Ashfield or Forest.

Visitors to Crater are left alone. It's only new immigrants that are pulled into Crater that are Branded, as it's the general idea that Arceus (or other legendary) is giving them more workers to help build and protect their city.

Hopefully that answers everything? Let me know if you have more questions or need further explanation.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Amissa
 Posted: Mar 15 2018, 12:55 AM

Player

I have more questions! I want to make a native character from Crater City, so I'm trying to understand what life would be like for him growing up there but it's difficult to track down many details about the city. These questions aren't all specifically about branding, so I apologize if I derail the topic somewhat but they are all about Crater City's government and culture.

What sort of ranks does the hierarchy have? Can a person move up if they develop a new skill or gain more wealth? Do different ranks have different tattoos? If a person changes rank (if that's possible), do you get an additional tattoo?

What sort of work do workers do? I figure that they might be farmers, hunters, servants, construction, and other manual labor type jobs. What jobs do the other citizens and other ranks have?

Since Crater City has a centralized government, what sort of services do the government provide? Do they have schools, a daycare, or a creche? Do they have government-run healthcare? Do they regulate what kind of pokemon citizens are allowed to carry? It sounds like the government provides everyone with basic food and housing, so does that mean there's no poverty?

When children are branded or are otherwise recognized as members of society, do they enter at the rank of their parents or is there some test of aptitude or skill? In the FAQ, it states that worker parents will often try to give their children to higher ranking families before they are branded. Does that mean that adoption and fostering is a common practice in Crater City? Are the children still allowed to maintain relations with their birth family? Do they keep the name of their birth family, or are they made to change their name?

What are relationships like with people from different ranks? Do people of different ranks get married, or are the ranks kept separate?

--------------------
PM
^
Jani
 Posted: Mar 15 2018, 11:29 AM

Admin

-"What sort of ranks does the hierarchy have?"

these ones! Plus, there are just regular, unbranded citizens who are in the mix who are basically unranked. The "hierarchy" is basically the government. The Branded (aka workers) and the unbranded regular citizens make up most of the city.

-"Can a person move up if they develop a new skill or gain more wealth?"

Yes, though it is uncommon. Branded can't move higher than Peace Officer in the official hierarchy, but they could potentially get different regular jobs. Usually Branded are delegated to the simple manual labor jobs, but honestly they're put wherever they are most needed or most useful.

In the government hierarchy itself, movement up and down is not exactly common, but not exactly uncommon either. This is partly because a lot of the jobs are so different from one another, and partly because the highest ranks of the government are so exclusive / limited in number. For example, Beta only has three Generals that directly advise him and lead with him. And only two Ambassadors, and only three Spies. These are basically lifelong positions that you would only retire from if you became physically unable to do the job anymore, so there's not a lot of movement higher up.

There is significantly more movement in the lower ranks (Bishop and lower). A regular unbranded citizen of Crater could apply to be a Peace Officer, and if accepted, could rise through the ranks to Bishop, potentially. This would be a very significant accomplishment, but it is possible.

A Branded cannot go higher in the hierarchy than Peace Officer.

It's not really based on gaining wealth, it's based on proving your strength and worth. The "wealth" basically comes from the rank, rather than rank coming from "wealth."

-"Do different ranks have different tattoos? If a person changes rank (if that's possible), do you get an additional tattoo?"

There are no tattoos. Beta wouldn't risk disease and infection that commonly come with tattoos. There is only a brand, (literally a brand from a branding iron) And only the Branded/workers are Branded. There are no brands or markings for other ranks. Sometimes you can see a Peace Officer with a brand, but that is because every now and then a particularly ambitious, or talented, etc, Branded worker will work hard enough and catch a higher ups attention and get promoted to Peace Officer.

-"What sort of work do workers do?"

Branded workers do basically anything that the city needs. They default to a lot of manual labor and/or "assistant" positions, while it would be uncommon (though technically possible) for Branded to have an "in charge" position. For example, a contractor who builds houses might have a couple of Branded workers underneath him to carry the materials from a storehouse to where the construction site is. A Tailor might employ a Branded to fetch materials, deliver completed projects, or work on certain projects as needed. But then if there were suddenly a city project that came up- for example, if Beta decided that the city needed a third wall, or something- many of the Branded under the employ of regular citizens would be temporarily moved to work on the city project.

-"What jobs do the other citizens and other ranks have?"

Regular, unbranded citizens can have any job, really. They basically operate the same here as they would in any other city, except that they'd be mostly exempt from doing manual labor stuff because those jobs are thoroughly taken by the Branded. So regular citizens would have jobs like running a shop, being some kind of craftsman, running a farm, etc. They would have the more "in charge" jobs, with potentially a Branded working for them, and they're also more likely to have skill-heavy jobs (like craftsman) as opposed to the Branded worker's unskilled manual labor jobs.

Other "ranks" in Beta's hierarchy have their jobs sort of described in the canon list I linked at the beginning of the post. It's government and policing stuff.

-"Since Crater City has a centralized government, what sort of services do the government provide? Do they have schools, a daycare, or a creche? Do they have government-run healthcare? It sounds like the government provides everyone with basic food and housing, so does that mean there's no poverty?"

Before getting into this, it is important to note that regular, unbranded citizens are not technically part of the "hierarchy." They just live in Crater. This means that they would not be paid and provided for by the government like the Branded citizens are. They would still reap a lot of the benefits, but they wouldn't be as actively looked after, because there is no government agent looking out for them specifically, whereas Brandeds are watched over by Peace Officers and Deacons.

Onto the actual question. Crater City has a prison (not exactly a service, but important to note) and a school, and although I didn't think about it before now, probably a daycare (possibly included in the school?) Government-run healthcare, I think so, at least as far as they would provide free or mostly free healthcare if they were injured in the course of their job. If injured not in the course of their job, they'd likely have to pay more for any treatments they needed.

As far as no poverty, not exactly. Though it partly depends on how you define poverty. There is no starvation, no homelessness, etc, among the Branded and those in the hierarchy. But they are paid in necessities more than anything else, so they don't really have, like, many tokens lying around that they can spend. They are paid in food and water and clothing and housing and all that stuff. So do they want for the necessities of life? No. Do they have tokens that they can spend on luxuries and hobbies? Not really, unless they are super high up in the hierarchy (Bishop and higher, probably).

Though, there is probably some poverty amongst the regular, unbranded citizenry, since they are not paid directly by the government and have to mostly earn their own way. The poorest of them, the homeless people who haven't been able to afford or build a home (or those who just don't care to), live just outside the outer city wall.

-"When children are branded or are otherwise recognized as members of society, do they enter at the rank of their parents or is there some test of aptitude or skill?"

Only children of Branded are branded.

Children of regular, unbranded citizens are just... there. Like in any other city.

Children of those who are higher in the hierarchy are... well, they are basically just regular, unbranded citizens. They have some advantages, and some are likely raised to take over their parent's position eventually, or get some job related to the government, but they aren't technically "born" into a rank.

-"In the FAQ, it states that worker parents will often try to give their children to higher ranking families before they are branded. Does that mean that adoption and fostering is a common practice in Crater City? Are the children still allowed to maintain relations with their birth family? Do they keep the name of their birth family, or are they made to change their name?"

I wouldn't say common, but it's not at all unheard of. The children are allowed to maintain relations with their birth family. As far as names, idk that there are any standards or regulations. It probably largely depends on what the family receiving the child chooses to do. The government itself wouldn't force the child to change their name. In fact, the government itself really is not at all involved in these "adoptions."

-"What are relationships like with people from different ranks? Do people of different ranks get married, or are the ranks kept separate?"

Since the "ranks" in the hierarchy are basically just jobs, yeah, people of different ranks can be wed... otherwise they'd have a very small breeding pool, LOL. But since I think what you are really meaning to ask is if Branded can wed regular, unbranded citizens or those in higher in the hierarchy: the answer is still yes, although the farther apart the couple is on the "hierarchy scale" the less likely they are to be wed. For example, a Branded being wed to a Peace Officer or Deacon is probably not that unusual. A Branded being wed to a Spy or Ambassador, however... very unusual. There is technically no law or anything against such a thing, but there is of course a strong sense of superiority/inferiority that makes such couplings uncommon.

Though it should be noted that "marriage" isn't a concept that is understood in Terrene as it was in the old world. There are no fancy "weddings," the most there would be is, like, a dinner party or house-warming type party for friends and family to come and celebrate a couple's decision to spend the rest of their life together. People do still use the terms "husband" and "wife" though.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Amissa
 Posted: Mar 16 2018, 03:12 AM

Player

Thanks so much, Jani, these answers have been very helpful!

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D Distant Fantasies Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene
Static
FF:Adventu Pokemon Anrui Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG PLEDGE -- a pokémon roleplay kalopsia - a pmd rp Pokemon: Terrene
skin by bonbon.