Welcome

Our old universe has
fallen into impossible chaos and destruction, but the Legendaries will save us; are saving us; have saved us. Soon many lives and memories will fill this new world, and give it purpose.

Events

Terrene continues to heat
up, both in temperature and in conflict. Beta is asking for spies to infiltrate Omega's camp, while Dentelle simply wants to inquire after the scientist's progress. Later in the season, Beta is hosting his annual crater city tournament, where people can test their Pokemon and their leadership and strategies against one another.

Season

Summer will be here until
September. The heat of summer is here in full force, as well as the accompanying summer thunderstorms. Bug, electric, and fire types all thrive while others wilt under these conditions.

Staff

Admins

Jani
Kaien

Moderators

Shasyu
Mod

C-Box

Keep it PG! | rules

Links

external cbox newbie guide pkmn rarity dmg table mod req the maps FAQ PP

Sisters

Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene

Closed
New Poll

Home Stretch, [Quest]
Jani
 Posted: May 28 2018, 11:39 PM

Admin

Home
Stretch
(Definitely not by best work because I'm so rushed, but ah, well. I'm glad to be getting it done, at least. Season is late autumn.)

"Right then miss, our work's done for th' day. Be on your way." A stout woman somewhere in between middle-aged and elderly brushed her hands against her pants, removing berry and herb juices and particulates from them. She adjusted the bun on her head, inclined her head to Cynth, and then set about cleaning and putting away the tools of her trade.

Cynth smiled, although the older woman wasn't looking at her anymore, and then hopped away from the table in the center of the small back room over to the door, where her crutch was waiting, leaning against the wall just by the door frame. She put the shoulder of her severed arm against the wall, using the point of connection to balance herself as she situated her wooden crutch in the crook of her other arm. "I'll see you tomorrow morning then, Mrs. Mitja." There was no response aside from a grunt, but Cynth still followed up with, "Enjoy your evening."

The brunette wasted no time in leaving, now that she had been officially excused by the woman she worked for. Cynth honestly didn't mind the work she did, and she appreciated greatly how much she was learning from day to day about Pokemon and medicine. But Mrs. Mitja worked her long and hard every single day, and it was exhausting. Exhausting didn't even seem to be a strong enough word for it, but, well, Cynth was too exhausted to come up with a better word.

Besides, this evening she had been hoping to go out onto the Lion's Plains to meet up with Trick. The most unfortunate side-effect of Mrs. Mitja keeping her so busy was that she hardly ever got time to spend with her Pokemon companions anymore, so she eagerly took whatever free time she had. Today, she was fortunate in that Mrs. Mitja had agreed to call their work complete a little earlier than normal, before the sun had set. That meant that she had more time than she had originally planned for to try and find Trick- he was never far, but that didn't mean he was easy to find. Sometimes it seemed like he didn't want to be found, but she still tried to take as many opportunities as possible for the two of them to spend time together. She felt bad because he didn't like to go in and out of the city- the peace officers got suspicious of Pokemon wandering about on their own, without a trainer- and he definitely didn't like to stay inside the city walls. So, that meant he spent most of his time just outside the outer wall.

As she made her way from Mrs. Mitja's Pokemon Center toward the outer wall, she noted all of the construction that was going on. She could see the silhouettes of the men and women standing on the wall, pulling up stones that had been brought down from the mountain, wedging them into place, and cementing them to each other with some kind of sticky, muddy mixture. The construction work had begun earlier this autumn- not only on this outer wall, but on innumerable buildings within the city, and apparently on the road that connected Crater City to Ashfield City, too. It was an impressive project, but it seemed to her as though completing such a massive undertaking would take quite some time.

Cynth actually felt a little bad, walking past all these people who were still slaving away under the heat of the sun, which was just now beginning to sink low into the sky. Sure, she had been working all day, too, but this sort of manual labor was seemed so much more intensive than what she did. Of course, she wasn't sure how much help she could offer, even if she wanted to. She couldn't lift heavy things, not with only one arm to lift and one leg to balance. All of this construction work was so physically intensive, and that was her weakness.

She lowered her gaze to the paved road beneath her as she passed through the outer wall, following the path out into the Lion's Plains. Then she immediately left the path, as there were a number of men here, working on extending the paved road out over the dirt path, and she certainly did not want to be in their way. Another pang of guilt. All these people all around her, working to improve the city that she lived in, and here she was, taking nearly half of a day off of work to hang out and chat with her horse. And right in front of them, no less.

Cynth began to hobble away, hoping to put distance between herself and them to alleviate the guilt that she felt, when she saw out of the corner of her eye, Trick approaching from the other side of the roadwork. She was glad that he was so easy to spot- given that he was literally and constantly on fire, he was a difficult guy to miss in most circumstances.

Unlike his trainer, he seemed to take absolutely no care or appreciation for the workers. He took the most direct route toward Cynth, which happened to be right through the area that most of the people were working in. He was careful not to step on anything fragile- he didn't want shards of anything lodged in his feet, after all- but that certainly didn't stop him from being in the way.

"Oh, Trick-" She started, and then sighed a sigh full of exasperation as she hurried toward him, hoping to get to him and pull him out of the way before anybody got too irritated with the careless equine.

Unfortunately, she was not quick enough.

"Hey, you, horse- what are you doing? Shouldn't you be hitched to some cart somewhere? Where in Arceus' name is your trainer?" An older man, hair beginning to grey but eyes still sharp as ever, moved toward Trick as he spoke in a scolding tone. He appeared to be a supervisor of some kind, given the stack of writing cloth he held in his hand and the way that he had been walking among everyone checking in here and there, before Trick had drawn his ire.

Cynth was close enough to hear the man's griping, and close enough to see that the only reaction the man got from her Ponyta was a slight roll of his dark eyes as he kept crossing the path. The man squinted, looking around for somewhere to land his glare, until he saw that the Ponyta was moving directly toward her.

Tag @self
Count 1092
user posted image #fcecb6 user posted image #402d26 user posted image #772229
user posted image #8884FF

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Jani
 Posted: May 29 2018, 01:32 PM

Admin

Home
Stretch
"Hey! Is this your Ponyta?" The old man's words were spoken less like an actual earnest question and much more like an accusation, but Cynth nodded her head in response to them anyway as she finished her approach. She would have spoken aloud, but she was unfortunately out of breath from her fast pace in her failed attempt to retrieve the Ponyta before he caused any problems.

The three of them all reached each other simultaneously. Trick was still ignoring the construction supervisor, instead subtly sniffing at Cynth's pack to see if she had brought any veggies or treats with her as she often did when visiting him- while trying to make sure that no one actually saw him looking, of course. Cynth gave the Ponyta a single pat on his broad shoulder, and then let her hand linger there, using him to support her weight and keep her balance. She did, in fact, have some treats for him, but she would save them for later. For now, she could tell by the dirty look on this old man's face that he had something more to say to her.

"He should be working, not getting in the way of people."

Cynth was distracted for a brief moment by the man's appearance. He looked even older up close than he had from a distance. His face was deeply wrinkled, and more than that, he seemed to be missing up to half of his teeth. (Of course, she felt she knew shouldn't dwell to much on that- she was missing a few things as well, and the loss of teeth was a lot less significant than the loss of a couple of limbs.) It was strange, she realized in this moment, how few elderly people she had seen in Terrene. She caught herself staring, though, and mentally shook herself so that she could muster a reply to the old man's words.

"I'm sorry, sir," Cynth began, shifting a little bit to get her crutch situated more comfortably beneath her armpit, "we will get out of your way right away." She began to move to make good on her statement, but the man stopped her by speaking again to her.

"Hold on a minute. You're not here to help?"

Cynth shook her head. "No, sir, we're just passing through. I work at a Pokemon Center, not with construction."

The old man grunted. "Too good for it?"

Cynth blinked in surprise and felt her face flush red hot. That was not at all what she had meant! "Uh- what? No, of-of course not, I just-" Luckily, the man interrupted her stumbling words and saved her from having to collect her scattered thoughts.

"Good. I'll make you an offer, then, since I'm assuming no one has told you, yet. Aside from the road and wall, Beta has commissioned the building up houses of houses in the city. You have a house yet?"

"Uh, no. Not a house of my own, anyway. A kind woman inside the city has been letting me stay with her, though."

"How about this, then: if you and your Ponyta work for me for the rest of the day and for half of the day tomorrow, along with a day's worth of pay I can guarantee you a small house of your own." He paused to let that sink in, before following up with, "do we have a deal?"

Cynth was flabbergasted, completely caught off guard by the offer. Her mouth even hung open a bit- though she snapped it shut as soon as she realized she was doing it. A house? Her own house, just for a single day's work? A different person might have been suspicious that it was too good to be true, but all that Cynth could think was that it was a fantastic deal that she could not pass up.

"I- yes! Yes, we have a deal. Thank you so much, that is very generous of you, Mr...? She trailed off, leaving the end of her sentence open, hoping to learn the man's name.

"Call me Joshua. And don't thank me, it's Beta's ridiculous idea to be giving out all these houses. It's foolish if you ask me, but it certainly makes it easy to negotiate for workers. No one in their right mind would turn down a house that's essentially free. Don't think I'll go easy on you, though."

"Of course not, Joshua," Cynth shook her head, the elderly man's grouchy attitude rolling off of her like water off a Ducklett's back, "what do you need us to do?"

"There is quite a lot that needs doing, I'll have to look at my notes here to see where you two will be the most useful. Is he used to tack?" His ever-stern gaze turned to back to Trick, who by this point had turned around and was facing Joshua, giving the man a blank and unimpressed stare. He just wanted the food that his human had in his bag, but this older human was apparently distracting his human from feeding him. Trick didn't like that. He also didn't like the human's tone, low and scratchy and demanding.

"Um..." The blank look on Cynth's face must have given away her ignorance, because Joshua immediately cut off her hesitant response to clarify.

"Can he be attached to a cart, and pull it?"

'Can he? I expect so, but will he? I doubt it,' she thought to herself. Out loud, she merely stated, "I don't know, I've never tried."

"I should've asked that first." Joshua grunted, flipping over one of the cloths in his hands and glaring down at them, his bushy salt and pepper eyebrows pulling together. "Too late now. It's worth a try, I think. Sturdy equine Pokemon like him that can pull materials to and from are worth their weight in gold. I'll go find an unmanned cart. In the meantime, see what you can do to help around here. I trust you can manage yourselves for a while."

"Of course, Joshua. I'll get straight to work." Cynth was careful to say 'I' rather than 'we'- she had no idea if Trick could be persuaded to assist.

"Good. I'll be back shortly, and we'll see then if your Ponyta is going to be any good."

She couldn't believe she was about to have a house! Her very own house!

Tag @self
Count 1064

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Jani
 Posted: May 29 2018, 11:18 PM

Admin

Home
Stretch
Cynth turned to face Trick as Joshua began to retreat through the outer walls and into the city. "Alright, Trick. I guess we just got a job. I really hope you'll help me out with this one... Having a house of my own would mean a lot to me. I suppose you really wouldn't understand the appeal of it, given that your home is just... all of this." She gestured broadly out at the long grasses that surrounded them for miles, but then paused and grew thoughtful for a moment before continuing "Then again, now that I think of it, you were quite excited to leave the Great Forest and get to the Lion's Plains. So maybe you would understand. Assuming you could understand human's language."

Trick stared at her as she spoke, not processing many of the words, and growing more frustrated with each sentence that Cynth spoke. He understood only the smallest, most basic parts of human speech. 'I', 'you', and 'we' were all words he understood by this point. He also understood that 'plains' was the word for his home, this elegant and wide-open expanse of tall grass. But everything else was just gibberish, frustrating gibberish. He stomped a front hoof on the ground and snorted at Cynth, looking her right in the eyes. Then he shook his head and looked away. He understood head shaking, that was a simple human gesture to pick up, and he knew he could use it to communicate.

Cynth sighed. "I know, we don't spend enough time together for you to have learned enough of human speech to understand me. I'm sorry." She murmured, more to herself than to him. She considered going to fetch Indie from Mrs. Mitja's home really quick so that she could help translate; Indie was the quiet, thoughtful, serious type, so she had picked up on a lot of human speech in record time. But it seemed like that was a crutch, so to speak. It would help now, in the short-term, but it wouldn't solve the underlying problem and they'd just run into the same issue later on. Plus, she didn't want Joshua to return and see her gone, and think that she had reneged on their agreement.

So perhaps today was a good day to try and teach Trick a word or two. Better late than never, right?

She got Trick's attention by patting his neck, and then she took her hand and pointed at the group of workers nearby who were bent over the road, digging a few inches into the ground and setting bricks into the outline of the road. "Work. They are working." She emphasized the word 'work;' it was the important one, the one she had to get him to agree to.

He stared at her. Okay, he was listening. Good.

"I," she put her hand on her chest to indicate herself, "will work."[/color]

Gripping her crutch, she moved over to a pile of bricks that were waiting for someone to put them into the road. She crouched, then laid her crutch down by the pile. She grabbed a couple of the bricks, and then pushed them over to where the road was being paved, crawling along after them. She made every movement deliberate, because she knew Trick was watching her. She picked them up and placed them in the shallow ditch, and then slid them down until they clinked against the other bricks that had already been set. She wiggled them until they were secure and straight.

Then she sat back on her butt, and turned herself around so that she was facing Trick again. "I am working." She was careful to keep her tone fairly flat, because she knew if Trick felt like she was babying him, he would completely tune out and he would probably be lost to her for the rest of the day.

She crawled back over to her crutch, and then used it to pull herself back up to her feet. Looking around, her eyes fell on another example. Perhaps a better example, given what Joshua wanted Trick to be able to do. Coming out of the city was a Pokemon that was completely unfamiliar to her, but what was important, was what it was doing. It was connected by a system of leather straps to a low wooden cart laden with bricks, and was pulling it toward them. More bricks for the road, it seemed.

Getting Trick's attention again, she pointed to the Pokemon-led cart. "That Pokemon is working. Work."

Cynth looked back at Trick, searching the equine's face and body language for signs of understanding. He looked at the Pokemon and cart that she had gestured, and then over and down at the road being built. At the very least, he seemed to understand that she was trying to communicate something in particular. The real question was, did he get it? Trick looked back at her, and slowly nodded his head. Cynth smiled at him.

He seemed to understand. So the next step was...

"I am going to work." She gestured at herself and then at the road and the pile of bricks.

Trick nodded his head once, without much hesitation this time.

This time, she pitched her voice so that it was very obviously a question, rather that a statement or a demand. "Will you work with me?" Again, she used gestures to supplement the words: at him, at the road, at herself. And then she waited, watching him to see what his reaction would be.

He kept her waiting for a very long couple of moments before she finally gave up. He hadn't refused, but neither had he accepted, and the seconds were ticking by. She needed to actually do what she had told Joshua she would do, what she had just told Trick that she was going to do.

Once again, Cynth got down on the ground again and began repeating the process that she had been showing to Trick. The other workers gave her space as she crawled back and forth from the brick pile to the road construction, dragging the bricks into place before going back for more. That was fine with her- she was used to other people being uncomfortable with her particular disability. But she was also used to making do with what she had. This would be a slow process for her, sure, but she would do it all night if she had to.

She could feel Trick's gaze on her back the entire time, and she wondered what he was thinking. Speculating about it kept her mind busy while her body fell into the rhythm of the physical labor.

Tag @self
Count 1116

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Jani
 Posted: May 30 2018, 09:24 PM

Admin

Home
Stretch
Joshua took longer to return than Cynth had expected- it felt like hours had passed before the elderly mason returned, his arms full of the same kind of leather straps that she had seen harnessing the other Pokemon to the cart. She wanted to tell him that it was no use, but the determined look on his face dissuaded her. There was... probably no harm in trying, right?

Trick never even let Joshua within three feet of him. No way was he going to consent to being strapped into anything, particularly not by this old and condescending fool.

Cynth felt a bit bad. She knew that Trick was the one who Joshua had actually wanted working, not her crippled self. But she swore up and down that she would work as hard and as long as anyone. Harder, even, and all night long, if she had to. Joshua didn't look pleased or impressed, but to his credit, he never breathed a single word to suggest that they should cancel their agreement.

He did reassign her, however. She was too much in the way and too slow when it came to placing the bricks; instead, Joshua gave her a bucket of a sticky, muddy substance and told her that she was to follow behind the workers who were placing the bricks in the road, and use the goop to stick the bricks together and to fill in any holes.

Cynth agreed readily and heartily, and set to work straight away, scooping up the slop with the strange knife-like object. Trick remained at her side, which surprised her; she had assumed that after Joshua's attempt at harnessing him, the pony would have become quite offended and left in a huff, off to... anywhere else. Yet here he was, standing just to the side of the road, watching her as she settled down to get to work. She found it strange, but she appreciated his company greatly, and rewarded him with a smile whenever she met his gaze.

Eventually, without any prompting whatsoever, he even came over and started tapping bricks into place with his hooves.

Cynth almost gasped in shock, but she managed to contain it by biting her lip. Perhaps... they were really to the point where the proud Trick of the Eyes was willing to help her with some of the mundane human tasks that she did? She didn't want to jinx it, so she just smiled at him and kept working, settling back into the rhythm and enjoying the cooling of the air as the sun set and the afternoon morphed into evening.

Soon it was too dark to keep working, and Joshua came to fetch her and the other workers. But Cynth wasn't quite ready to be finished.

"I can keep working, Joshua. If my Ponyta kneels here beside me, I can work by the light of his mane and tail. Then I can at least catch up to where the other workers placed the bricks."

Joshua nodded his head. "I don't see why not. Just make sure your work doesn't get sloppy. Keep everything snug and even. And I'll see you bright and early tomorrow morning."

"Yes, sir. Of course."

Cynth watched Joshua turn and leave. Then she leaned back, adjusting her sitting position to stretch out her knees a little bit, and brought her pack around to sit on her lap so that she could rummage through it. "Here you go, Trick. Thanks for helping me work." She made sure to repeat the word that they had been working on as she spoke.

She brought out a little pouch full of sliced carrots and bananas- Trick's favorites. "Could you lay down for me, here?" She set the treats out on the ground, and mimed laying down with her head by the treats. After a moment, the Ponyta complied, tucking his legs beneath him as he set himself down beside the pile of food, nibbling gently on them

"Thank you." Cynth turned back to the road, and worked in silence under the glow cast by Trick's flames.

Tag @self
Count 680

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Jani
 Posted: Jun 6 2018, 05:16 PM

Admin

Home
Stretch
The next day, both Cynth and Trick were back at Crater City's entrance before the sun had even begun to peek over the eastern horizon, as the sky was turning from a deep and inky blue into the lighter, in-between blue of the dawn. Cynth had negotiated with Mrs. Mitja to join her at work later today than usual, giving Cynth the ability to keep her promise to Joshua and uphold her end of their deal.

She expected that they would be working on the road again, but when they found Joshua, he seemed to have other plans for them. Looking between them with a vaguely displeased look (Cynth was beginning to assume that was just what his face looked like), he informed them, "More help is needed with the houses being built, so we'll need you inside the city. Just go along this road and take a left when you start seeing the construction. Look for a big Mudsdale and her trainer."

Cynth agreed, of course, but as he left to go speak to the other volunteers, she turned to Trick. He rarely went into the city, and she didn't know why so she wasn't sure if he'd be willing to or not. She pointed at the city and stated, "We need to go work in there. Will you come?"

The look her gave her made her wonder if he thought she was crazy, but there was no hesitation in him as he turned from her and walked into the city, his dark hooves clip-clopping on the cobblestone road. Perhaps he just thought it was a stupid question to ask? She had no idea. She hurried to catch up with the pony, careful to make sure the tip of her crutch didn't get caught in the divots of the new road.

The Mudsdale was hard to miss. She was taller than the wall, and over half as tall as all of the under construction houses that surrounded her. She was harnessed and hauling a hefty cart heavily laden with hundreds and hundreds of mud bricks.

"Woah." Cynth murmured the exclamation, staring with eyebrows raised and mouth slightly agape. That was a huge Pokemon, and an impressive display of strength and power. Trick turned and glared at her. She didn't say anything out loud, of course, but the unspoken statement still hung in the air between them: Trick could never do that. Compared to that huge Mudsdale, Trick was an infant.

"I guess I'll-" Cynth didn't finish her sentence, as suddenly Trick was trotting off to the Mudsdale, his head held high and his nose in the air. He snorted and whinnied at the huge Pokemon, and Cynth's stomach sank. That certainly wasn't a friendly tone he was using.

She had deja vu from the previous evening as someone who seemed to be the supervisor in this area of construction scowled at Trick, and then approached Cynth, asking, "Is he yours?"

Cynth suppressed a sigh. "Yes, he's mine. We are supposed to be here to help with the construction." Apparently she couldn't quite keep all of the exasperation out of her tone, because the supervisor gave her a smirk.

"Don't worry about it. Back when she was a Mudbray, I couldn't get her to do anything productive."

That did make Cynth feel a little bit better. "Being unproductive is one thing. Trick- that's his name- Trick seems to be offended even when other Pokemon are productive." This time she didn't hold in her sigh, relieved to have someone to commiserate with. "Anyway, what can we, or I, do to help?"

"The biggest help would be if he could pull a small cart of bricks. There's a huge need for a ton of material, and that much material is hard to move. I'm guessing he's not going to... actually, I have an idea."

The supervisor began to move off toward Trick and the Mudsdale, the latter of which was beginning to look incredibly annoyed with whatever conversation they were having. Cynth followed, curious as to what the supervisor's sudden idea was. "Hey, girl. I'd like that Ponyta to pull a cart. Think you can convince him?"

Cynth wasn't confident, but a smug look suddenly settled onto the Mudsdale's features (Cynth could mostly understand the large equine's expressions given how similar she was to Trick). The huge horse gave a whiny, and then gave a couple of snorts that almost sounded like laughter as she tossed her head and then lipped the supervisor's face affectionately.

Trick said nothing, but immediately turned himself around, as if looking for something. The supervisor got his attention and pointed at where an empty cart sat, with a harness hanging from it. He stalked over to it and picked up the harness between his teeth, bringing it over to Cynth with one of the most serious expressions on his face that she had ever seen.

"I did not expect that to work. Um, how do I get this on him?" Cynth held up the harness, trying to find the top of it or figure out how to hold it.

"Here, let me- okay, then. Easy, boy." The supervisor reached for the harness, but backed off swiftly as Trick laid his ears flat against his skull and turned to bare his teeth at the other human.

"Oh my goodness! Sorry, sorry! I don't know what's gotten into him all of the sudden.'

"No problem. I'll just coach you through it. Take this part..."

After nearly half an hour of finagling on Cynth's part and impatient hoof-stomping on Trick's part, the harness was properly put on and Trick was attached to a cart. Cynth was completely flabbergasted for the second time in under twenty-four hours.

Her amazement at Trick's sudden compliance (no, not compliance, demanding) to help was dwarfed by the eagerness, the yearning, that grew within her as she saw cute little brick houses being raised all around her. And one of them was going to be all hers.

(Keeping the supervisor/Mudsdale trainer vague because it's the same Mudsdale from the Horsing Around quest.)

Tag @self
Count 1001

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Kaien
 Posted: Jun 16 2018, 11:18 AM

Admin

topic closed
▲▲ +50 tokens for completing a topic
▲▲ +40 tokens for posts over 1k
▲▲ x1 half-price voucher
▲▲ x1 supply pack
▲▲ x1 burn heal
▲▲ x1 antidote
▲▲ x1 revive
▲▲ x1 rare candy
▲▲ +3 EXP for Trick
▲▲ +4% loyalty for Trick
▲▲ Trick levels up! (10 -> 11)

Yeeessss I always need more Cynth & Trick in my life!! I really enjoyed reading this, and getting a little more update and development into their relationship, along with Cynth's life and working for this project. And, as always, I love how you tackle her disability in how she has to adjust to complete things that others can do easily. It was a great read - Perhaps a bit abrupt of an ending, but still amazing ~

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D Distant Fantasies Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene
Static
FF:Adventu Pokemon Anrui Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG PLEDGE -- a pokémon roleplay kalopsia - a pmd rp Pokemon: Terrene
skin by bonbon.