Welcome

Our old universe has
fallen into impossible chaos and destruction, but the Legendaries will save us; are saving us; have saved us. Soon many lives and memories will fill this new world, and give it purpose.

Events

As Terrene leaves behind
the long, dark nights, their minds turn to friendship and romance at the second annual speed dating! And don't miss out on the clover hunt or the poetry season. Our plot event, alpha & omega, is drawing closer to its end, but is still going strong for now.

Season

Spring will be here until
June. The rainy season begins in the tropical areas; the rest of Terrene begins to thaw and warm, shaking the chill of winter and creeping toward the heat of summer. Fairy and grass types relish in the season of rebirth and renewal!

Staff

Admins

Jani
Kaien

Moderators

Mod
Mod

C-Box

Keep it PG! | rules

Links

external cbox newbie guide pkmn rarity dmg table mod req the maps FAQ PP

Sisters

Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene

Closed
New Poll

In this Diary, these are the best days [Development]
Amissa
 Posted: May 13 2018, 11:53 PM

Player

[[Development goals are to further the personal plot of Soren's character.]]

Soren was, as usual, the last one in the barn tonight. He dawdled on purpose because he enjoyed having these quiet moments with just himself and his pokemon. He expected that his dad must feel the same way about when he took care of Destiny. There was something therapeutic about the ritual of cleaning Genesis's stall, bringing her food and water, and cleaning her hooves and coat. It was relaxing for her too, and it was an experience that she'd learned to look forward to at the end of every day. No matter where they went or what they did, if she'd had to fight, pull awful heavy carts of goods, or help Soren with menial farm tasks, she knew that the day would end with food, comfort, and safety in her own little space.

It was night, and the barn was dark except for the dim yellow light of his lantern. Soren was cleaning up, and he took the lantern with him as he did a brief final check on each of the pokemon in the barn. However, tonight as he reached Destiny's stall, he noticed something strange. There appeared to be a hole in the far back corner of Destiny's stall. That could be a hazard. If the Sawsbuck accidentally put a hoof in it, she could hurt her leg. Soren was surprised that his father hadn't seen it first and corrected it already. He was always so diligent about taking care of the sawsbuck that had once been his lover's old starter. Destiny had belonged to Soren's late mother, and his father had taken care of her ever since her trainer died giving birth to Soren.

Destiny was lying comfortably in the straw of her stall with her legs folded beneath her, but she looked up sharply as Soren entered. "Hey, girl. I'm just going to do something about that hole so that you don't get hurt, okay?" Destiny was the strongest pokemon on the entire farm, and she had the potential to be a dangerous threat if she wanted to be. However, ever since her original trainer died, she didn't seem to have the spirit for any activity let alone fighting or training. She obeyed the commands of Soren's father, Gaspar, but without orders she rarely even came out of her stall. Even her looking up as Soren came close was a bit unusual for her.

Genesis was in the stall right across from Destiny, and her ears pricked up as Soren entered her stall. She came out and tried to follow Soren, but Destiny actually stood up as she approached. "Stop," Destiny snorted, raising her tail.

Genesis obeyed, stunned to hear the older pokemon speak. She'd never heard the sawsbuck talk. "Why? I just want to see what he's doing." Genesis said innocently, angling her head to try and see Soren around the larger pokemon.

"He's family." Destiny replied, stomping one foot threateningly. "You're not."

This exchange between the pokemon distracted Soren from his task for a moment. He couldn't tell what they were saying, but he'd never seen Destiny behave aggressively to anyone before and he couldn't help being concerned. "It's okay, Destiny. You know Genesis. You two be nice." He told them. He watched until he saw Genesis rather sullenly take a step back and Destiny laid back down.

Well that was weird, Soren thought as he got down on his knees in front of the hole. He intended to just push some dirt into it to even the ground out, but closer inspection showed that there was actually something inside. He reached one hand inside until his hand made contact with some sort of cloth. The boy gripped the object and pulled it out. It looked like some kind of bag made of a course and sturdy material. It was dirty, but Soren thought that when it was clean it was supposed to be a vivacious pink color. It had a beautifly print all over it, and Soren brought the bag out and flattened it out in his lap. This was a pleasant little discovery, and he wouldn't fool himself into believing that the bag was here by accident. Someone had left it there, maybe they'd been hiding it. It was a clever space. Almost no one came into Destiny's stall except Gaspar, and he cared for her so thoroughly that it was never necessary for anyone else to look at her stall too closely. One could just brush the straw over the hole and no one would ever think to look at it too closely.

Ah, Daddy hid this here. It dawned on the boy, and he glanced back over at Destiny. That explained why the sawsbuck wouldn't let Genesis in either. He might have ordered her to guard this bag, but of course she wouldn't attack Soren. He set to inspecting the bag more closely. It had two straps and appeared to be intended to be carried on one's back. It had some fancy metal fasteners that Soren found could be pulled one way or another in order to open and close pockets. He could feel there was something inside, but before he checked that he wanted to learn as much as he could about the bag itself. The stains on the bag couldn't be identified with the naked eye, but Soren leaned over and gave the bag a good sniff. It smelled like dirt and straw, as one would expect from a bag buried in a pokemon stall, but there was also the faintest smell of...smoke? Definitely smoke, like from a fire.

Interesting, Soren thought though he couldn't figure out what that meant. Maybe this bag had been in a fire in the past or an explosion, but both of those seemed unlikely since the bag probably wouldn't survive it. Finally, he pulled on the metal fasteners and opened the bag up. The first object he found was a book with a cover that was hard, light, and nearly as smooth as glass. On the cover was a brown cheerful image of a buneary. It appeared welcoming and unlike the bag itself, it seemed clean but quite worn.

Opening the book, Soren found pages of lined paper. Paper was almost unheard of in Terrene. The only time Soren had seen paper was when some of the new immigrants that came to the farm brought them over from the other world. "Oooh..." Soren groaned as he leaned back on his heels. This bag and possilby all of its contents were from the other world. He didn't think it had come through with his own father, and the next logical assumption was that these items came through with his mother. The back of the book was crammed with cloths on which words had been scribbled evidently once the paper pages ran out.

Flipping the book open, Soren found his assumption to quickly be confirmed.

Dear Diary,

Hi, my name is Summer Sharp, and I'm ten years old. I live in Sinnoh, and I just got my first pokemon today. Daddy gave me this diary as a birthday present, and he said that I should write all about the adventures I go on with my new pokemon. He's a turtwig, and I named him Tank.

--------------------
PM
^
Amissa
 Posted: May 14 2018, 01:18 AM

Player

Soren took a few shallow quick breaths as he tried to register what he was holding. His mother was long dead, and he knew very little about her. He understood that her death had been traumatizing enough to do some severe emotional damage to both Gaspar and Destiny. He knew that she must have been a skilled trainer as she raised Destiny from a young deerling into the powerful specimen she was today. She'd also been a branded worker, an immigrant brought to Crater City by the god pokemon themselves. At some point she and Gaspar must have gotten along well enough to conceive Soren, but about the time that Soren was born, everything went terribly wrong.

Summer Sharp had died in childbirth, or so he'd been told by his father. However, Soren simply didn't know enough about childbirth to know exactly what went wrong, or why so many other women not only survived but managed this feat multiple times without ever dying. The second story he'd been told was that while Summer was recovering from the exhausting experience of giving birth, a zoroark came and took her newborn from her. The mother naturally tried to fight the demon off, but in her condition she stood no chance. The zoroark killed her, stole the baby, and it left its own baby, a zorua to be raised by Soren's father in place of the human child it took. This story insinuated that Soren wasn't even a true human child but a demon in disguise and he knew it was irrational, but it was frightening enough for him to fear deep down that it was true.

Either way, Soren's very existence was the downfall of the great Summer Sharp, and the boy couldn't help but feel that it wasn't an even trade. Summer had been adored. His father described her as a woman with long red curls, freckles, blue eyes, and no fear. He spoke of her with reverence befitting a goddess, but he spoke very little and Soren could tell that every word seemed to cause him almost physical pain. Thus, Summer Sharp seemed a creature of legend to Soren. She was too wonderful for this world, certainly too wonderful to be branded, and yet she had been. She'd been both real and branded, and Soren had thought all she left behind was her child, her lover, and her pokemon. It seemed that she'd left her diary as well.

Soren felt a brief wave of guilt. He felt as if he'd trespassed on sacred ground. He'd touched holy artifacts with his bare hands, and surely he'd be punished for it by the god pokemon who bothered to pay attention to such details. However, as seconds ticked by and he didn't die instantly, his guilt abated slightly. He was Summer Sharp's son, after all, at least he believed that he was. Certainly he was entitled to rifle through her possessions a little bit. He wanted to learn about his mother, so he continued reading.

I live in Floaroma Town in the region of Sinnoh with my Daddy. My town is special because legends say that it was once nothing more than a barren hill. People would try to plant flowers here, but nothing would ever grow. Only when a person expressed gratitude for the blessings of nature did the hill burst into bloom with all kinds of flowers. Now my home if full of flowers all the time. Every home and window, not to mention our beautiful meadow is all full of flowers. I love where I live. I think it must be the best place in the whole world.

We went south to Jubilife in order to meet the professor who gave me my first pokemon. I chose a grass type because I knew turtwig would love flowers just like me! My Mommy lives in Snowpoint City and Daddy says that if I train Tank to be strong enough to protect me, I can go and visit Mommy even by myself.

"A turtwig," Soren muttered. He'd heard of turtwig before, but he'd never seen one. From what he knew, they were a grass type that could grow very powerful, but Soren didn't know much more than that. It was a very rare pokemon, and he only knew it existed because he read a lot in school and he had a special interest in grass type pokemon, since he lived and worked on a berry farm.

A pokemon had been given to her by a professor. Soren knew that "professor" was a fancy word for teacher. Moreover, she chose it, which meant that her teacher had offered her a choice of multiple pokemon. A world in which a child could simply be given a tame pokemon to train and protect them seemed wonderful, not awful like Soren was led to believe. Everyone who came to Terrene, including Crater's leader Beta only had bad things to say about the other world. Maybe it wasn't all as bad as the adults made it sound. But if it wasn't, why did some immigrants come through so traumatized and frightened like Ridley, an immigrant Soren had just met the other day? Instead of a world of horror and sadness, Summer seemed to describe a kind of utopia filled with flowers and hope for the future.

Soren paged ahead in the diary, reading bits and pieces. Summer didn't write an entry for every day, which he appreciated. She only seemed to write if something impressive happened. She wrote when she caught a new pokemon or one of her pokemon evolved, which happened with surprising frequency. Even at a young age, she seemed to be a skilled trainer. There were also a lot of words Soren didn't understand. She spoke of "radio" and a "television station". There were "poketch watches", "contest halls", and "pokemon gyms". There were some words that appeared often that he did know like "pokedex". "She'd had a pokedex," he muttered before closing the diary and diving a hand back into the pink bag.

He pulled out the rest of the contents but was disappointed that there didn't appear to be a pokedex. There was, however, a small metal case. He flipped the latch and looked inside. The case opened vertically. The top section held a smooth identification card with the picture of a cute red-haired girl around Soren's age. It had an identification number and a certification date. The date didn't make much sense to Soren, but he assumed it was probably the day she was given her first pokemon. The top of the card read "Summer Sharp" and right below that was "Official Pokemon Trainer". Soren touched this card reverently with one finger before turning his attention to the bottom section of the case. Here, there were four depressions and four small gleaming metal objects. Despite how old they must be, they appeared freshly polished. Daddy must be keeping Mommy's stuff clean just like he's taking care of her pokemon. Protecting it and tending it, but never reallly making use of it. As if after all this time he expects her to come home and ask for it back. It as more than a little heartbreaking.

--------------------
PM
^
Amissa
 Posted: May 14 2018, 02:37 AM

Player

Soren carefully closed the badge case and put it back into the pink bag. He searched once again for a pokedex before giving up. It was really too bad. A pokedex was exceedingly valuable. He's give his left arm for that sort of device. It had information on every kind of pokemon stored inside it, and only very few existed in all of Terrene. The technology that the people of the other universe had access to was downright terrifying. It was really a wonder they hadn't developed super weapons and destroyed themselves.

Soren went back to investigating Summer's diary, and he found that as he went through it, it took a surprisingly dark turn. Summer began to document alarming instances.

Dear Diary,

I write now by firelight because no one has seen the sun in days. Where could it have gone? The stars are there, and the moon, but the sun never rises. Will it just be night forever now? It's getting so cold!

Dear Diary,

I've reached Snowpoint at last. However, many of the houses and buildings have been burned to the ground. I found someone and asked what happened here. I asked about my Mommy. She laughed maniacally and my blood felt like ice inside me. She told me that my mother died nearly ten years ago when the fire tornadoes hit. That's impossible! I visit Mommy every year, and she'd been just fine last year. I haven't aged. I'm still eleven years old, at least I think I am. Time moves so funny now. Maybe ten years has passed. Maybe fifty, maybe a hundred.

Dear Diary,

I don't think I can do this anymore. I can't find my way home. Tank died today. It's just me alone now, and I don't think I can make it any longer.

Soren's own eyes began to tear up as he read these entries. He couldn't begin to imagine how frightened she must have felt. It sounded like she was all alone in a world gone mad. In the end, she even lost her pokemon. He hugged the diary to his chest as tears dropped from his cheeks to his shirt. He wished he could help her, that poor lost girl. He wished he could find her and bring her safely away. But that's what happened, wasn't it? Arceus or one of his helpers had found her and taken her away to live in Terrene. They brought her to Crater City where she would be happy and safe.

Soren watched Destiny and Genesis as both pokemon watched him. He sniffed and dried his eyes on his shirt. It's hard when you already know that the hero dies at the end of the story. It seemed even more unfair since he knew a few of the horrors she survived.

He forced himself to read on. In the next entry, the ink appeared to have changed to the ink commonly used in Terrene which Soren knew was made from soot. This, he thought with excitement, must be her first entry in the new world.

Dear Diary,

I found myself in a new place today. It was like waking up from a kind of dream, or a kind of nightmare. Everything that came before this day seems fuzzy and hard to remember as if it wasn't quite real. Except that I have you to remind me that it was real, wasn't it? My first memory is of tall golden grass stretching as far as I could see. I also saw a great town and a dirt road leading there. A pokemon met me on the road and has been following me ever since. She's a sweet little deer, and I call her Destiny.

The people in the town seemed very nice at first. They took me in, dazed and confused as I was. They brought me food and tended to my wounds. They spoke to me gently and explained that I had come to a safe place. I was given hot tea made with herbs that made me sleep and perhaps numbed the pain somewhat of what was to come. Because once I was too drowsy to fight, one of these people came towards me with a brand that glowed red with heat and pressed it to my forehead.

The people here estimate me to be around thirteen years old, and I can't much argue. I don't know how old I am, but thanks to you Diary, I know that my name is Summer Sharp, and I once lived in a town that believed in the miracles of nature. I once raised pokemon and won medals and badges. Now I have been branded like cattle, marked as an object, as property of a strange man. Beta. How arrogant he must be mark so many people and declare them his underlings.

Soren felt a sick twisting in his stomach. Beta couldn't be bad, he thought. She was just angry because the brand hurt. He knew. He'd endured it himself, and he'd been angry too. It felt cruel. He'd begged his father not to let the peace officers do it, and he'd begged the peace officers not to do it to him. Instead, they'd given him gentle placating words and told him to be a big brave boy. All boys and girls from Branded parents were branded themselves once they were old enough. "You do want to be a big, brave boy, don't you Soren?" they'd asked in a tone he considered infuriatingly condescending like they were coaxing him to swallow a spoonful of bitter medicine and not about to press a hot branding iron to his forehead.

Soren remembered feeling like he hated them, not just the peace officers that did the branding but the whole stupid city that accepted that level of brutality as normal. He'd hated his father for not protecting him, and he'd hated every single person who tried to soothe him by saying, "I know it's hard, but it's all for the best."

But that was months ago. Beta didn't have them marked because he was arrogant or because he was bad. Beta loved all of his people. It's why he took such great pains to protect them all and lead them well. Soren had grown up thinking of Beta as a protective grandfather who was as generous as he was stern. Arceus himself had chosen Beta because he knew best. However, sometimes the old resentment still boiled up in Soren. Usually it was when he saw the other unbranded children his own age playing or going to school, doing activities that he used to enjoy before he'd been marked as a worker and been forced to spend nearly all of his waking moments toiling. It didn't seem fair, but what could he do about it? Even life at the bottom of Beta's hierarchy was better than not being in it at all.

Summer Sharp's words here were heretical, but she was a brand new immigrant and hurt and frightened. She had to be forgiven. She'd suffered greatly, but surely with time she'd adjust and see how much better off she was now that she was in Crater City. Plus, she was the same age as Soren now. It was thrilling to know she'd gotten her first pokemon in Terrene at about the same age he'd gotten Genesis.

--------------------
PM
^
Amissa
 Posted: May 15 2018, 05:52 AM

Player

Soren was having some conflicting feelings about the diary at this point. He thought that it might make more sense if he read it more thoroughly or if he read it all the way to the end. He should probably get some sleep too. By now night was edging into morning, and Soren was finding it difficult to keep his eyes open. So now he faced the question of what to do with the diary. Would it be wrong of him to keep it?

He wrestled with this decision for a little bit before putting all of Summer's things back into her pink bag except for the diary. He put the bag back into the hole and hid it beneath a thin layer of dirt and straw. The diary he picked up and put in his own leather shoulder bag that he carried with him everywhere. Destiny didn't stop him, and Soren wondered if she'd been instructed specifically to allow him alone to touch the diary. He could ask his father in the morning, but Soren found that he stubbornly didn't want to do that. In fact, he didn't want to talk to anyone about the diary. He felt the selfish compulsion to hoard it all to himself. She'd been his mother, and this was all that he had of her.

Bereaved was the word that was used to describe surviving family members after the death of their loved one. Bereaved which meant to be deprived, dispossessed, robbed, stripped. Soren was bereaved, and he felt it now more than ever. He'd been deprived of his mother's love, robbed of her presence, and stripped of all the important lessons she might have taught to him. Thus, perhaps he could be forgiven for his desire to keep as much as his mother to himself as he possibly could, including her most private written memories. No, he wouldn't bring it up to his father, nor would he bring it up to anyone else.

"Let's just keep this between us, okay girls?" Soren whispered to Destiny and Genesis, giving each pokemon an affectionate pet on the neck. He led Genesis back to her stall and gave the barn one more inspection to make sure everything was put away and in order. When he was done he gave a tired sigh, picked up his lantern, and headed off to sleep in his own bed. He'd give the diary a closer inspection next time he had some time alone, hopefully after he'd had some sleep and could gain more from reading it. This book could be a valuable resource, and he was eager to learn more about the girl his mother had been and the woman she grew into.

--------------------
PM
^
Jani
 Posted: May 23 2018, 07:06 PM

Admin

topic closed
▲▲ +50 tokens for completing a topic
▲▲ +30 tokens for 3 posts over 1k
▲▲ +1% loyalty for Genesis

Ohh, I like this. I'm eager to see where this goes. And it was a great read, so awesome job as per usual~ :D

--------------------
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D Distant Fantasies Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene
Static
Save Your Goodbyes FF:Adventu Pokemon Anrui Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG PLEDGE -- a pokémon roleplay kalopsia - a pmd rp Pokefalls Pokemon: Terrene Pokemon: Terrene
skin by bonbon.